311424 - Gerodontología (OPTATIVAS GENERALES DE 2º CICLO) - Curso 2012/2013
- Tipo: Materia Ordinaria RD 1497/1987
- Departamentos: Estomatología
- Áreas: Estomatología
- Centro: Facultad de Medicina y Odontología
- Convocatoria: Segundo Cuatrimestre
- Docencia y Matrícula: null
|Nombre||Tipo Grupo||Tipo Docencia||Horario Clase||Horario exámenes|
Existen programas da materia para los siguientes idiomas:CastellanoGallegoInglésCourse objectives
The general objective of Gerontology is the geriatric oral assessment and the carrying out of the odontological treatment in elderly patients, from an integrating perspective and according to a logical and planned sequence.
1. To acquire the necessary skills and flairs for the clinical examination of the elderly patient. To obtain and assess clinical, radiological and additional data of the elderly patients and do a diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic approach of their state of buccodental health.
2. To distinguish the characteristics of the diagnosis and therapeutics in the individual odontological care, versus the odontological care of a group of elderly people.
3. To identify the etiological and risk agents of the oral diseases in elderly patients.
4. To describe the etiological and risk agents of the oral diseases in elderly patients.
5. To explain and carry out the main methods and techniques for the treatment, control and prevention of oral diseases in elderly people.
6. To have a good command of the sanitary education techniques at an individual and community levels in elderly patients.
7. To describe the state of oral health and the necessities of odontological treatment in elderly patients.
8. To describe the different groups of elderly people according to their abilities, degree of dependence, social environment and place of residence.Contents
Unit 1. Concept of gerodontology.
Unit 2. Demography and sociology of aging.
Unit 3. Biological changes of aging. Aging in the bucco-dental region.
Unit 4. Systematic diseases of old age. The geriatric pharmacology.
Unit 5. Psychology of elderly people.
Unit 6. The integral geriatric oral assessment.
Unit 7. The dental caries in elder adult people. Restoration and endodontic considerations.
Unit 8. Assessment of the periodontal disease in elderly people.
Unit 9. Pathology of the oral mucus in the old age. Traumatic iatrogenic lesions.
Unit 10. Bucco-dental infections in old people.
Unit 11. Oral pre-cancer and cancer in elderly people.
Unit 12. The orofacial pain in geriatrics.
Unit 13. Restoration with prosthesis in elderly people.
Unit 14. The oral implantology as a treatment alternative in the geriatric patient.
Unit 15. The use of the dental services by elderly people.
The knowledge that has been acquired in the theory syllabus will be applied by means of clinical-practical seminars and clinical practices.Basic and complementary bibliography
- Bullón P, Velasco E. Odontoestomatología geriátrica. SmithKline Beecham. Madrid. 1996
- Toma de decisiones clínicas en odontología geriátrica. Clínicas Odontológicas de Norteamérica. Volumen 4. 1997
-Holm-Pedersen P, Löe H. Textbook of Geriatric Dentistry. 2ª Ed Munksgaard. Copenhagen. 1996Assessment system
It is necessary passing the theory part by means of an examination consisting of short questions in order to be able to obtain a final grade. It counts as 30% of the final grade. Throughout the academic year, it will be carried out a continuous assessment of the clinical practices (70% of the grade). It will be more valued the quality than the quantity of works that have been made, putting special emphasis on the planning of the cases and the integration of diagnosis, decision-takings and treatment.